Department: Commercial Operations
Reporting to: Head of BD International
Matrix Reporting to: not applicable
Location: APAC region (location to be defined)
Cross Functional / Team Alignment / Synergies with:
- Commercial Operations department (CCO, Business Development, Alliance Management, Marketing, Customer Service)
- Regulatory dept
- Legal dept
- R&D/QA (to a lesser extent)
As the BD Manager for SUBSTIPHARM, you will be responsible for developing partnerships with local pharmaceutical companies in the APAC region (Distributors or Licensees) that fit SUBSTIPHARM’s vision and ambition. Your primary mission will be to expand the company’s customer base and product portfolio in the region. This role aligns with SUBSTIPHARM’s worldwide expansion strategy, becoming a renowned player in the field. Reporting to the Head of BD International, you will establish and nurture long-term relationships with key players, define strategic goals, and drive commercial activities to enhance overall business and profitability.
Knowledge, Experience and Behavioral Competencies: (Person Spec.)
- MUST HAVE REQUIREMENT: At least 5/7 years of international sales/export experience in the APAC pharmaceutical industry (within international pharmaceuticals group);
- He/She should possess a business development mindset, focusing on driving growth and seizing opportunities.
- Ability to work with autonomy, with limited supervision
- He/she must be a collaborative team player. Key attributes including understanding and addressing holistic business needs, excellent networking and communication skills, and the ability to influence and lead at all levels within an organization, sharing a long-term strategic vision and fostering a team-oriented environment.
- He/She can interact effectively with scientists and technical staff.
- The candidate should have a structured approach, strong prioritization skills, international experience, adaptability, and autonomy.
- Fluency in English (oral and written) is required, and proficiency in French is a plus.
Essential Education and Qualifications:
- The ideal candidate should have a bachelor’s degree in business, Science, Pharmacy, or another related field.
- Market intelligence. Understand the pharmaceutical market dynamics, including by establishing and maintaining long term relationships with stakeholders, KOLs, competitors and other Group Affiliates, in order to identify potential business/licensing opportunities and ways to optimize current portfolio;
- Country knowledge. Know the local markets and their regulations, and the associated competitive environment, in order to define the most effective commercial strategy;
- Sales Analysis skills: Ability to analyze information sent by partners (volumes, stocks, prices, …) in order to draw sales forecasts and build robust business cases;
- Customer Management. Create and maintain good relationships with Substipharm’s customers i.e. understand their needs, strengths, weaknesses and commercial potential;
- Contract awareness. Know how to effectively negotiate terms and conditions and find ways for optimizing existing contract conditions. Can drive the drafting process in collaboration with Legal department;
- Product awareness. Know the commercial and scientific features of the drug, is able to transfer the “concept” of the product to external partners and to assess critically their feedback/inputs;
- Reporting. Deliver clear and synthetic reports to management, by addressing key issues and giving details when required; know how to prepare an effective presentation;
- Integrity & Compliance. Ensure the activities are carried on in compliance with all relevant local/international laws and regulations as well as with Substipharm standards, preserving confidentiality.
Physical Requirements of the Role and work flexibility
- Anticipated travel of approximately 40-50% globally is expected.
- HQ in a different time zone.